Hiking in Ngorongoro Crater Highland
For those who want to explore the Ngorongoro Crater Highland with its volcanic features, we offer them a seven, six and five days Crater Highland hiking, under the second tab we offer an example of the itinerary for 7 days. If one cannot afford this much time, we can offer a visit to Empakai Crater as a day trip starting and ending in Karatu.
Empakai Crater in Ngorongoro Highlands can be visited as a day trip from Karatu
A Maasai in Ngorongoro Crater Highlands
- Arusha-Ngorongoro Crater Highland-Nainokanoka village
- Leave Arusha to Ngorongoro for a half day Crater tour then proceed to Nainokanoka village where you set your camp. Walk to Olmoti Crater and Munge Waterfalls, in the afternoon you’ll return to the camp for dinner and overnight.
- Nainokanoka-Kamnana village
- After breakfast you’ll walk through Embulimbuli depression, forests and grassland following the animal trail to Kamnana village where you set up your tents and have dinner and overnight
- Kamnana-Empakaai crater.
- Hike through the bushland and forest to the rim of the Empakaai crater where you set up your camp. Walk to the crater to see the volcanic lake, dense forest, different bird species and wild animals like buffalos, waterbucks, reedbucks. Return to the rim of the crater for dinner and overnight.
- Empakai-Naiyobi village
- After breakfast descend on the north western side of the crater to Naiyobi village for dinner and overnight. The camp will be set in the village
- Naiyobi village-Muonwongoni village.
- Walk through the dusty path down the Ngorongoro Crater Highland to Muonwongoni village where you set up your tents for overnight and have your dinner
- Muonwongoni village-Ngaresero village
- After early breakfast walk through the volcanic rock and dusty trail across the Ngaresero river. The camp is set near by the river. Bathing here is especially refreshing, after a long walk. You’ll be spending the night at the campsite near by the river
- Ol Doinyo Lengai-Lake Natron-Arusha
- In the morning visit the viewpoint of Ol Doinyo Lengai and pass by Lake Natron (high breeding place for flamingo’s) and in the afternoon you return to Arusha
Fill out the form with your personal data, travel details and special interests and we will tailor a trip for you!